Saturday, August 25, 2018

Chapter 51: The Third Wish


Release date: August 27th, 2007

Word count: 28,931

Click for summary

Thoughts: It's been one year since I've been running this blog and re-reading New Trials! Though it would have been nice to be finished with Arc 3 for the occasion, one cannot rush through these chapters. 

Between Ch 50 and Ch 51 there are two interludes that are only on FanFiction.net. They were originally empty spaces because uploading Wish-chan's chapters was giving me a hard time and she ended up making good use of the real estate. Ch 50.5 is Miho's interlude and if there's one thing to take away in this intro-to-Hayashi-Shulin-Landon interlude is Eriol's comment on how Sakura succeeds at the new trials because she has a circle and doesn't take all the burden on herself. Ch 50.75 is Tomoyo's Interlude before the Arc 3 finale. What's fun about this segment is Wish-chan teasing out Dark!Tomoyo through schemes, which we end up seeing in CCS:CC. But it's a bit confusing for first time readers because it should be Ch 52.5 since it talks about Syaoran's upheaval to Hong Kong. I took the liberty to place it before Ch 53 and confused some fans about the mysterious update.

Real talk~ because this is one of the few chapters where I originally thought there was no fanart, and because the really big events happen in the next two chapters, I remember so little of it! The title reminds me of Sakura's role as Subaru's fairy godmother but that's it.

There is a two year upload gap between Ch 50 and Ch 51 making it the longest break between two consecutive chapters and that explains the heavy recapitulation at the head of this chapter.

I loved how Wish-chan conveniently inserted an explanation of the plague in a nutshell via history class.

Eron telling Sakura to either choose him or he'll do something stupid has all the markings of a toxic relationship. No one should ever be put in that position. It was great to see Sakura stand up for herself.

To anyone wondering why S&S aren't together: "Truthfully, I see no future for us, as long as the Dark Ones continue looming in the shadows,” ~ Sakura to Tomoyo about Syaoran. Sigh. I've actually seen this happen in shows and movies. When heroes allow themselves to pursue a relationship, it's even harder for them to forgive themselves when they aren't able to save their world from peril. Ultimately, Tomoyo's thought about how there could be no future until they fix the present sums it up the best.

We finally get the first Tanaka siblings scene since the confrontation at the ski lodge. I forgot that Kai prolongs the ruse by showing her the unmarked grave. Ha, I thought their conversation was missing but here it is as a flashback. It's frightening when he insists that Tanaka Mikai is dead because in a way, he is. Woah, anyone else remembered the hypnotism?! I think now I understand that Kai is giving up any chance of reconciling with Miho because he's sure he's going to die anyway and he doesn't want Miho to lose him twice.

Syaoran's nightmare with Leiyun has a lot of foreshadowing but we were so oblivious at the time.

If I were Miho, I'd feel so betrayed that everyone knew about Kai's identity before she did. I've been in the situation where someone knew something about me before I did and that wasn't cool.

Syaoran uses microfilm to examine past newspapers. The New York Times catalogued all of their newspapers online, which is pretty cool.

I'm really surprised that after all of this time Tomoyo never fashioned a bodycam for Sakura. 

While I clearly remembered Subaru's first wish was that he wanted to fly, asking to see his mother as his second wish totally caught me off guard and made my eyes well up with tears.

Heehee, Wish-chan was able to sneak in a reference to the Harry Potter book series in this chapter. I'm actually in the process of an HP re-read and I'm about a third through Book 4.

Syaoran was on the cusp of telling Sakura everything but then Subaru coded. Even if he did let his feelings out, there was no way Sakura could have processed them properly.

Wish-chan using the canon facts that both Nadeshiko and Syaoran's father were dead and tying that into how the Plague was sealed during their generation never stops being impressive.

Fanart spotlight: Ha, I honestly thought that I had to create a fanart for this chapter but it turns out that Sakura and the Five Force Treasures by Selenity fanart belongs to this chapter and not the next one. My confusion comes from the fact that Wish-chan's You Came For Me does belong to Chapter 52 and it comes right after. That fanart also made me think that it happened on a school day but Selenity got it right to dress Sakura in street clothes because this happened on a Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment