Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Chapter 27: Galloping Through the Thunder Clouds


Release date: March 16th, 2001 

Word count: 7748


Thoughts: How does Sakura fix her and Syaoran's problem of barely making it to school on time? Rollerblades, of course! The scene where she was teaching him how to skate ("Rollerblading is not one of the Li clan training skills.”) was so cute.

Has anyone else read Black Beauty? As far as the classics go, it's definitely one of my favourites. 

Seeing Asuma, Arima and even Midnight Star again gives me such a nostalgic feeling ~ it's as if I'm meeting up with old friends.

The Dark Ones really could have permanently injured Sakura or worse when Midnight Star was going out of control when she was riding him. It's a good thing that Syaoran came when he did.

Speaking of which, how did I forget their almost kiss?!?!?! Here's the passage: "Silently, Syaoran gazed at Sakura. Her face was just a breath away from his. As a gust of warm wind brushed by, Sakura’s silky long hair blew into his face, smelling of sweet spring blossoms. His face was so near hers, he felt himself being drawn to her. Midnight Star shuffled under them, and the bond broke." Ahhhh!!!

Oh my gosh, there is so much S&S goodness to unpack. When Sakura asked Syaoran why he was mad when she went out with Eron, instead of answering he countered back by asking if it's the same when Erika gets too clingy with him. Touché, Li Syaoran, touché. This line definitely has Sakura catching some feels considering that "a pleasant shiver ran down her spine".

Asuma and Arima were such rivals when we first met them. I'm glad they got past that.

I appreciate the way that Wish-chan incorporated Asuma in CCS canon through a flashback as yet another source of encouragement to realize his true feelings for Sakura. 

Sakura pumps Asuma for information about Leiyun and that alone gives me the chills, knowing what I know now about the almost-Chosen One. Asuma's description couldn't be more contrary. 

I'm glad that Syaoran was finally able to open up to Sakura about Leiyun. In his flashback we get some tidbits from Voice of the Wolf. It's been TBA for the longest time (2001 or maybe even prior) since NT understandingly takes precedent. But if I had to rank the side stories in the order I'd like to read them first, it would be Kaitou, Great Five, Clow Reed and then Syaoran's Ordeal. 

“Is that all you ever want to be to me? Just a good friend?” ~ ahhhh, this Syaoran quote gives me the shivers!!

Fanart spotlight: Though it is common for Wish-chan to release fanart that's related to the chapter she posted, sometimes she does travel back in time to bring older scenes to life. For Thunderstorms, this was posted in 2007, which was six years after the chapter was released. The fandom was very excited for this fanart of Sakura falling asleep in Syaoran's bed. Though she bent canon, Wish-chan had fun with her first fan-service fanart.

2 comments:

  1. I'm finally able to comment on your blog again! I resumed my NT reread (at snail pace). Prepare for long comments!
    ~~~~~~

    I agree that "Rollerblading is not one of the Li clan training skills." was funny. Can you imagine Syaoran including that in the Li Clan training? When asked about it he would reply that it helped Sakura in capturing cards and dark forces.

    When I was in 5th grade, we were supposed to read Black Beauty but we didn't get to. I'll make sure to read it in the future.

    I had also forgotten about their almost kiss. I remember reading NT for the first time back in 2010 and being frustrated saying that I was only going to read the story until SxS kissed (silly me~).

    Got super excited when Asuma, Arima and Midnight Star appeared, especially knowing that happens in future chapters.

    I know the Dark Ones were controlling Midnight Star but I couldn't help but wonder (since we have knowledge from Arc 3 and 4, but not knowing how far back Wish-chan had the G5 story together) if the Unicorn initially reacted negatively to Sakura because she's Hayashi's descendant. I also found it weird that Midnight Star was originally in Hong Kong and it made me wonder if he chose to be there or if the Li Clan had somehow managed to get him there.

    From the side stories I would also want the following order: KMO, Great Five, Clow Reed and then Syaoran's Ordeal. I originally wanted to read about the G5 but considering that KMO is more advanced (and probably less spoilery) I would rank it as first. Wouldn't mind a new chapter on G5 though (since the last one was from 10 years ago). I think to understand Clow's story the G5 one would have to be finished and Syaonra's Ordeal would be last because NT already focuses on him a lot lol.

    (spoilers)
    Would you say Midnight Star is the first patron animal to be officially stated? We already saw Moonstone but really don't know about him til Arc 4 and Garuda (aka Perro-chan) makes a very brief appearance with Kai but really isn't that noticeable until later.

    Reading about Asuma's and Syaoran's thoughts/flashbacks on Leiyun put me on edge because what we know about him in later arcs. I couldn't help but think of the descriptions as foreshadowing since both of them mention how he was nice but when angry he could be your worst enemy. But what throws me off is this (like I have a list of questions just on Syaoran's flashback of Leiyun):

    “Continue practicing the Dragon and the Tai-feng sword drill. You’re meant for the Li Five Force Sword. Work hard to earn it.” Leiyun said, smiling in his usual self.

    “I thought that you were going to inherit it,” I replied cautiously.

    “Nah. It used to be your father’s anyway.”

    “I’m too young for it. Everyone says the Elder’s would give it to you.”

    “I will just need it once in my lifetime,” Leiyun replied, almost somberly. “Syaoran. Don’t fall in the trap I did. You’re good inside. I know it. Don’t ever give in…”

    Will we know why and when he will use the sword?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for always leaving such gloriously long comments every time you continue your re-read. It's nice to know that there are a handful of people out there who are accompanying me on my journey.

      If only the Clan knew how advantageous rollerblading could have been. For all we know it was just the edge he needed to become Master of the Clow. ;-) I totally recommend Black Beauty. I own a copy so I've definitely read it more than once. That and White Fang are two awesome books about animals.

      I think the Unicorn acted badly to Sakura because she was a stranger. But you do bring up a good point about how Midnight Star used to be in Hong Kong and now he's in Tomoeda. Maybe he grew super attached to Asuma and went through withdrawals after Asuma left for Japan. Midnight Star is definitely the first patron animal to be established as such. I would have never in a million years pegged Moonie-chan as a patron animal, though! I wonder if it's something that Wish-chan knew all along or if it's something that she connected later on.

      I have a hard enough time doing a trajectory of the Five Force Sword as it is! From what I understand Leiyun didn't have it with him on his mission, Syaoran did have it with him during the Card Captor days and the beginning on NT, Kai stole it and Syaoran used Ryuuren's sword, it was sent to Hong Kong for safe keeping, Kai managed to get it anyway and used it as a bargaining chip for his surgery and then Leiyun was the one using it in Arc 4. Let me know if the path that you're thinking of is any different!

      Delete