Sunday, December 31, 2017

Chapter 26.5: The Legacy of the Twins (Eron and Erika’s Promise)


Release date: June 21st, 2001 

Word count: 5697


Thoughts: Though this chapter is listed after Chapter 32 (the third chapter of the summer adventure timeline since that's when it was released), it clearly takes place in between chapters 26 and 27 while Sakura and Syoaran were struggling to get to school on time and Meilin was already out of the picture.

Why is it that the least S&S centric chapter is one that has so much S&S fluff?!?! They're too adorable for words.

The bond between Eron and Erika in the early arcs is iron clad. It's unbelievable that they're on different sides on the battlefield later on. 

The family love between Eron and Erika is so pure. 

Risa Chang is the first one of The Great Five's time to directly communicate with her descendent. Then it's Eron with Ruichi (though it was probably simultaneous) and then it should be Mikai and Mayura. Apparently Landon and Shulin reached out to their decedents according to Sakura, who laments that she never heard from Hayashi and how she was the only one.   

When Risa sways Erika to accept her soul, it reminds me of the theory of how she may have been the original Dark One after all. 

I wonder if Risa and Ruichi would have accomplished their goal if Erika wasn't sick.

The image of Syaoran carrying Sakura in his arms after she sprained her ankle in PE class is so sweet. I can never get enough of S&S fluff.

Eron was dedicated to staying true to the decision he made to let the darkness in as the price to save Erika. This special really makes me appreciate the hardships he'll undergo in the future to be set free.

Fanart spotlight: Though it would be very easy to use the fanart that Wish-chan specifically drew for this special chapter, I realized that yaninpoart's Eron and Erika portrait for her Shades of Gray series works marvellously to show the bond between them. The fact that they are younger than we're used to in canon makes this fanart an even better fit.

3 comments:

  1. I think this chapter was the one that helped me view the twins differently back in the day. I used to hate them but now I love them so much I hope nothing happens to them towards the finale. They have a beautiful relationship and if one goes down the other will just crumble (too heartbreaking for Wish-chan to do after all the ups and downs in the later arcs).

    I always wondered if Risa and Ruichi communicating with Erika and Eron was simultaneous or not. Because if it isn't, it makes me wonder if Ruichi goes along with Risa because he wants to set her spirit free (I can go about this for hours but I'll try to keep it short).
    One of the first things that Mayura tells Ruichi is to let Risa's soul rest in peace and to let her go. Assuming that with all dark magic Ruichi engaged with, he might have affected her soul. Things got worse (we know the story, so on and so forth), I think that he probably sensed/knew that that wasn't the same Risa (before all darkness consumed him) and in a weird (maybe misunderstood way) he's been trying to find someone who can break the spell and save them. The theory still has holes and needs evidence but in a nutshell that's what I think is happening.
    I also found it weird that Hayashi hasn't communicated with Sakura (he did during the camping trip but I don't count it). I always felt that Landon was actually the one who hasn't communicated with anyone. I think that Hayashi communicated with Kara rather than Sakura. Maybe Shulin's doesn't count either because she only communicated with Sakura and Syaoran during Chapter 70 and it really wasn't about the Dark Ones and how to stop the curse. If anything, Mayura is the one who has done the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rule of thumb: never cut yourself off when it comes to the G5 because I am fascinated with your perspective and insights. I can read your theories for a long time because if my NT memory is weak at times then my G5 memory is laughable. I'm sure I only read the Legacy chapters twice in my life. I couldn't even remember Eleanor! I can totally see Ruichi wanting to free Risa's soul the same way that Eron wants to save Erika from the darkness.

      Delete
    2. ^_^ as I'm rereading New Trials I've been taking so many notes and writing so many comments in the pdf format that it's been taking forever. Once I get enough enough I'll have a document with the evidence and theories. ^_^ But I'm glad you like my theories. I love reading your blog even if I take forever to comment.

      Delete