Friday, December 8, 2017

Chapter 21: Blown Away Roses


Release date: February 2001

Word count: 13,635


Thoughts: Arc 2 starts off with a bang with the first mention of the school musical Star-Crossed. I love how Wish-chan takes events from the original series (camping trips, plays, ski excursions) and makes it her own.

Tomoyo wondered why Terada-sensei moved to Seijou Junior High. I guess he and Rika must be extra secretive to hide their relationship from Tomoyo.

I always thought that it was odd for the most coveted role to be Rosaline and not Juliet. I guess it's hard to compete with the most beautiful person in the musical.

Sonomi is unable to recognize Syaoran as Ryuuren's son but she already realized who he was in the Christmas chapter. Plot hole? Tomoyo does save the situation by explaining that Nadeshiko and Ryuuren might have put a memory charm on her.

Tomoyo and Syaoran never have time together so the whole training montage where she coaches him for the audition is adorable.

This is the second time that Sakura dreams of Syaoran walking away from her. Ugh, Yesterday's Letter is so far away but I still won't be ready when I get to it. 

Syaoran planning to force Meilin into buying the girly magazine with the Angels in New York photo delights me. 

Grr, Eron made Syaoran assume that Sakura gave him chocolates when she was just helping him pick them up. This Valentine's Day chapter is so angsty!!

I really loved the Meilin spotlight that described her excellent audition for Juliet. There isn't enough appreciation for her. The best Meilin fic out there is Lotus Reborn by Peacewish, who is my second favourite writer in the fandom.

Within the lyrics of Say Goodbye To Yesterday there's the first mention of the sunshine after the rain, which will come up again.

I still remember how furious I was when Erika made Sakura miss her audition by tripping and throwing Coke on her! We knew so little of what Wish-chan was plotting.

Sakura notices Eron's pigeon blood red earring for the first time in this chapter. Only one treasure left.

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot that the rose Sakura flung in the air from frustration landed in Syaoran's hand!

Even though she didn't get a part, it was really nice seeing Sakura as the go-to girl.

Fanart spotlight: When Joyce originally set out to draw this headshot of Syaoran, the goal was for it to be Syaoran singing his audition song. Even though she ended up going a different direction with the clothes, the face captures his anguish perfectly. 

2 comments:

  1. Disclaimer: This comment came out longer than I expected. Sorry
    ~~~
    When I read that reference to Yesterday's Letter my heart ached. I know you already got to that part present time but I'm dreading the heartbreak (funny considering I love the drama in the later arcs).
    I'll check out the fanfic from Peacewish. I don't think I've ever read any but thanks for the mention.

    I may have to look back but I think this was the first chapter where Syaoran flat out thinks that Sakura should be able to distinguish between her friends and enemies while looking at the twins. Makes me wonder if the Veil had fallen off by then.
    And random, and probably not related to the piece of info we get in Arc 4, it somewhere in this chapter Meilin combs her hair with an ivory comb. And I remembered that in Arc 4 she combs her hair with an ivory comb said to have belong to Shulin.
    I found it interesting that when Syaoran says to not know how to waltz and I find it funny how it's so not true. I mean, whenever there is some sort of dance he wishes to dance with Sakura :P oh and in the future Leiyun and Jinyu do say that Li men are taught to dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana! First of all, never apologize for posting late! Our fandom within a fandom is so small, I'm at the point where I'm pleased when my posts even get hits, haha. I saw that you left so many comments too, so I look forward to savouring them all.

      I used to read all kinds of fanfics, but it wasn't until I discovered Peacewish that I realized what quality looked like. Lotus Reborn is a definite must-read for any Meilin fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1101078/1/Lotus-Reborn Scattered Blossom is a lovely Touya prequel about his relationship with Kaho: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/997572/1/Scattered-Blossoms

      I never thought about the Veil's effect on S&S. Syaoran will always be suspicious of everyone but Sakura wants to give everyone a fair chance. Arc 3 was interesting to see our heroes and the twins not pretending anymore and using magic out in the open. Cool comb reference! I really love how you retain so much casual G5 references. Arc 2 Syaoran could have lied about waltzing the same way he lied about his musical talents. Imagine how many more girls would fawn over him if they knew?

      Delete