Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Chapter 24: The Mirror of Truth


Release date: March 3rd, 2001

Word count: 8107


Thoughts: Sakura's dream taunts her that Syaoran wouldn't be in her life if she wasn't a Card Captor. While it's true that Syaoran would have never come to Japan in the first place because the Cards were loose, I'd like to think that she would have approached him anyway if he was a sullen new kid.

We are finally talking about the Five Force Treasures after a lot of build up in the previous chapters!

I know nothing about St-Tail, but it's really cool how Wish-chan was able to incorporate one of her favourite mangas in her fic. 

Hehe, there's a mention of Sakura's green ribbon that Syaoran swiped in Arc 1.

When Sakura and Meilin bumps into Kaitou at the museum and treats him like the stranger that he is, it still surprises me that Kai wasn't as always as deeply embedded in the fold like he is now. 

"Sighing, the thief gave one last bitter look at Shing’s painting and melted into the crowd." ~ Wish-chan truly did deliver us the mother of all plot twists! It's so much fun to go back and realize the deeper meaning.

Sakura and Syoaran enter the Mirror of Truth?! I don't remember this at all!! This is where they viewed more scenes of the past, which includes Nadeshiko's insecurities about Ryuuren being in her life only because of magic.

Unfortunately, I did not succeed at the Great Five quiz. While I knew that Amamiya = Sixth Sense, Dark Ones/Chang = Light and Dark, and Li = Elemental Power, I got Reed = Heavenly Bodies and Mizuki = Contract magic mixed up! This is where Sakura sees them for the first time.

I may not have remembered anything about the adventures inside the mirror (including Syaoran being tasked to find the real Sakura among nine duplicates), the Kai and Meilin fan in me didn't forget the way Meilin reminded him to eat his vegetables.

The chapter closes with the first hint of Eron's obsession with Sakura. I didn't think it was mentioned this soon.

Fanart spotlight: I wasn't sure what fanart to use, but when we were introduced to the Great Five for the first time, I just had to use Wish-chan's original sketch from the early 2000s. Such a pretty drawing and after all of these years, she hasn't strayed too far from her original interpretation. 

2 comments:

  1. "Sighing, the thief gave one last bitter look at Shing’s painting and melted into the crowd." ~ Wish-chan truly did deliver us the mother of all plot twists! It's so much fun to go back and realize the deeper meaning." That truly was a huge plot twist! I was trying to control my smile when I read that.

    I had to roll my eyes at how aloof and detached Eriol is from the problems. “So, anyway, in the old legend, there were the Great Five Magicians. Each with either the power of the heavenly bodies, elemental power, second sight, contract magic, or power of the dark and light. We know three of them, Li, Reed, and Amamiya. Another one would be the line of the legendary dark ones. We still don’t know the last one. Eriol would be finding more about it right now.” Really, Eriol probably knows more than he lets on.

    I always wondered how the Mirror of Truth ended in the Mizuki family. The other ones I understand where they come from, but are Princess Rosa and the mirror man maker the ancestors of the Mizuki family?
    Somewhere in the chapter Tomoyo says that Shing's paintings compliment the legend of Princess Rosa but I wonder if he ever looked at the Mirror. What do you think he saw?
    When Sakura and the gang use the Invisible I thought of how CCS:CC does the same thing.

    Yay! The Great Five! Wish-chan does mention in her author's notes for the Legacy of the Five Forces Chapter 1 that she made a mistake in this chapter. Reeds do the contract magic and Mizukis deal with heavenly bodies magic. :) I wrote so many notes for their brief scene. I had forgotten that Landon wore glasses! Or at least he does here. I wonder if this chapter she had already thought how the Dark Ones came to be and most of the dynamic of the G5.

    I know you made a typo but when I read this it made me think of later chapters with the Tomoyo and Leiyun scenes. "This is where they viewed more scenes of the past, which includes Nadeshiko's insecurities about Leiyun being in her life only because of magic."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so mortified with that typo! I was re-reading the blog post before getting to your comment and that's how I saw it for myself. Oops!!!

      I never thought about the connection between Princess Rosa and the Mizuki family. I think Shing was so tightly wound with the Memory (I think that was the Dark Force that haunted him) that whatever he saw in the Mirror wouldn't count for much. Otherwise, he would probably see himself as Keisuke.

      Oh my gosh, so I did get 100% on the G5 quiz after all! I knew that it made way more sense for the Reeds to use contract magic since that's how Sakura has a relationship with her cards. Thanks for that!

      Delete