Thursday, December 28, 2017

Chapter 25: Parting Friends


Release date: March 16th, 2001 

Word count: 8028


Thoughts: Meilin says that she wants to go home in order to train harder and become an asset instead of a liability. Now that we know the future of NT, I'm glad to see that it happened. 

Sakura finds the stale box of chocolates and withered peony that Syaoran intended to give her on White Day. I have no idea why it was in Meilin's room or why she held on to it.

And Sakura is now Juliet to Syaoran's Romeo. Wish-chan may torture S&S tons, but she is such a shipper.  

Meilin's goodbye party was sweet. I'm going to miss her! At the airport, they run into Kaitou who manages to trick security by stealing Syaoran's passport. I forgot that scene happened!

Sometimes I feel that the original Sakura Cards get neglected in New Trials with all of the storytelling, so it was fun to see Sakura use The Twin to multiply the "I will not be late for class" sentence one hundred times for her and Syaoran.

I probably would have forgotten about Eron and Sakura's date if it wasn't for Asumei's fanart of the consequence Syaoran's rash action. However, it did slip my mind that Sakura moved back to her home shortly after Meilin left.

According to the old Updates page and the author's note, it appears that at least Chapters 25 and 26 (and maybe 27?) were supposed to be just one chapter but Wish-chan feared that it was too long. I think that as the updates became further apart, she became more generous with the word count per instalment. 

Fanart spotlight: This 'Surprised Meilin' fanart by Selenity Shiroi wasn't drawn with the intention of being a scene from this chapter, but it works out very well regardless. By taking a glimpse of the artist's gallery, we see that Selenity favours Meilin so it's fun to see her interpretation of this character evolve through out the years.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really going to miss Meilin too. Can't wait till she returns.

    This part puzzled me: “The pretty Hong Kong girl is leaving,” Eron commented, lazily flipping through a book.

    “I guess the Mirror of Truth really shocked her. After all, I think she really does care for the Little Wolf a lot… To see him turn like that…” Erika brushed her glossy hair in front of the bureau mirror.

    They know what Meilin saw? Did she see what happens to him at the end of Arc 3? and later on Meilin thinks about the Final Revelation. Has this eve been mentioned again in NT?

    I had forgotten about Eron's and Sakura's date. I found it funny how this time and the next time Eron invites her to the movies. Now in my headcanon Eron likes movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that Meilin saw something in the Mirror, but I forgot about the dialogue that you quoted (well, it's been nine months since I read it). While the "what did Meilin see in the Mirror" question has been brought up, we still don't know what it was. Whatever it may have been, it definitely put her on the path of becoming the Chosen One's Protector.

      Eron is definitely an introvert. Movies seem to be right up his alley.

      Delete