Thursday, April 26, 2018

Chapter 40: The Fate Determined by the Stars


Release date: April 3rd, 2002

Word count: 21,312


Thoughts: Sakura's opening paragraph about all of the hard work going into Star-Crossed despite other obligations sounds like Wish-chan persevering with NT despite's life's obligations.

Nadeshiko was able to bargain with the Fates for more time. It's a good thing that she wasn't on the Grim Reaper's clock!

I like the fact that despite being a fairly minor character, Mike Kant still makes a decent amount of cameos.

After getting a nice dose of Meilin in CC, I'm glad that I can still enjoy her in NT. I love how she was the only one who realized that Kai had ulterior motives for being involved with the musical.

Ugh, Eron was so cold when rejecting Yuri-chan. I feel so sad for her. 

Ah, there it is. Erika was the one who blabbed to Sakura about the bet between Eron and Syaoran. I knew that decision was going to end up biting Syaoran. It hurts to know that the last time Sakura felt this betrayed and confused was when Syaoran said he didn't have feelings for her in Arc 1.

Sakura's thank-you breakfast was so thoughtful and I'm glad that chose to illustrate that for Fanart100's Breakfast prompt even though my proportions are ridiculous. In her letter she asks Syaoran to feed Wolfie-chan well, but in the previous chapters she already stated that as a Dark Force, Wolfie-chan doesn't need food.

It's nice to have Touya back. The Kinomoto banter is great! 

Oh, Syaoran asked Sakura out for Sunday. I haven't forgotten how that is going to go down. Ouch.

Hmm, Rika talks about how she had a nightmare about forgetting her lines and Terada-sensei was dissapointed in her. That reminds me that the Rika-Terada side story is coming up in about ten chapters. 

When Sakura talks about the three women with the thread that were in her dream and Takashi accurately explains the Fates from mythology. Chiharu still tells him to shut up with his nonsense, though. I love the part where Syaoran comes in after and talks about his dream, which was the same as Sakura's, except for the fact that he interfered with the scissors. 

It's showtime! I thought that the latest CCS:CC episode where the play from the second movie was revisited aired at the perfect time for my re-read.

Not only are Arima and Asuma were in the audience, but Mike Kant and Shing were there too. Ahh, he's so close to his children and he doesn't even know it. Tomoyo's father was there too and Fujitaka finally makes a return, having been away since the beginning of Arc 2.

How did I forget that Syaoran bet a kiss after betting with Sakura to see who can carry out their roles the furthest? It's kind of a silly thing to bet on considering that they don't have the luxury of backing out, but it was cute.

It's so fitting that Sakura is wearing an ice blue ball gown because this non-CCS fanart by Vestal-Sprit where Sakura even has long hair is even more canon (even if there are no masks). 

During the intermission Miho mentioned that there was a donation box set aside for the Children's Hospital. Subtle foreshadowing! 

I totally remember the real Five Force treasures were being collected, but I completely forgot the purpose of it!

Fanart spotlight: I was so excited when Saloni shared her fanart of the Star-Crossed sword fight. The costumes look great! Sakura and Syaoran are in the middle of an action packed scene and Saloni really captured the moment. It's an added bonus to know that after the duel, Syaoran accidentally falls on top of Sakura. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't even remember the swordfighting fanart! Reading the past few posts was a trip down memory lane. I really did like Arc 3. You've been so hard at work I fee embarrassed. I write at the speed of several lines every few days or so. I probably shouldn't have taken up reviewing each CCC:Clear Card Arc episode, but I also wouldn't be using that time for extra writing for New Trials anyway. Reviewing doesn't require any thought, while New Trials does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please, I wish all work was this fun. I'm having a blast with this project and I really love how I've encouraged Kirei-chan and Diana to do their own re-reads too. It's really interesting to see what I remember and what I've forgotten... and what I've forgotten even after reading it like how Meilin wore a cat costume in the Ch 8 Halloween special. It wasn't until CC when that became noteworthy!

      Even if you write a few lines every day, that's still an achievement. When my husband is composing a new piece, sometimes he could spend the entire day just writing four bars. But at the end of that day he knows he's satisfied with what he came up with and won't be scrapping it for something else. We're insanely patient and as far as hiatuses between chapters go, this is the best one yet because we get you on your blog, at the Yahoo group and on FB. Your online presence means the world to us!

      Delete