Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Chapter 60: Re-memory


Release date: January 30th, 2009

Word count: 33,500 words 

Click for summary

Thoughts: Sakura and Eron's movie date was hilariously awkward. I'm so glad to be past the dating phase in my life.

This chapter marks the first time Erika and Jinyu meet. I am so surprised with the effect that she has on him down the road.

I love the way Kero-chan has taken over Touya's big brother role when he was grilling her about her feelings for Eron.

Yue and Clow's relationship back in the Clow era takes on different forms in CCS fanfiction. While Wish-chan states that Clow loved Cerberus and Yue as his children, she lightly skated on the other side with Kero-chan remembering that Yue wanted a different kind of love from Clow.

Kai and Kara's encounters are charged with a certain kind of energy. Reading Wish-chan's Kaitou Magician Origins puts things in perspective. I guess I should re-read and blog about that next, though I was hoping it would be completely by the time I took another dive.

Meilin tells Tomoyo that even though she's with Kai, she's still scared about him manipulating her to become a person she doesn't recognize. I wonder if that has anything to do with their current relationship status in the latest chapter.

Geeze, was I affected by the Memory too? I have no recollection of Syaoran and Sakura fighting the knights together. I don't even know which Dark Force this is (it turned out to be the Fantasy, which makes sense). I also don't remember them in the creepy house together.

I really love that it was Sakura who cured Syoaran's arm with the Heal. If she only knew she was functioning with Syaoran's power of the moon then it was the least she could do.

With the house disappearing after they escaped it, it looks like the Fantasy must have done a number on them. Maybe it shipped S&S too, haha.

So it's official: Sakura and Eron are dating. I remember how furious we were that it had come to this. At least this time around I can enjoy it for what it is. Eron is such a dutiful boyfriend too, from walking Sakura home to carrying her books. Nowadays there are high school boys believe that having a girlfriend means that they're entitled to her nudes.

We know very little about Kaho. So leave it to Wish-chan to use CLAMP's canon fact about her terrible sense of direction as a meet cute with Eriol.

“You steal the cards from me and then come rescue me from a dark force. You insult me yet you give me your jacket in the cold. Are you just a hypocrite or is there something I’m missing?” Damn, Syaoran! Back at it again with the split personality!

Sakura regaining her memory is so heartbreaking. She got back everything she lost but it was at an excruciating cost. Ouu, that was so shady of the Fantasy to entice her through the form of Nadeshiko.

I thought it was interesting that Syaoran had to choose between forgetting himself or forgetting Sakura as a price to enter the Fantasy. I know he chose to remember Sakura, but how did he manage to leave if he needed to remember himself? I'm glad that I'll find out in the next chapter!

Fanart spotlight: The only accompanied fanart that came with this chapter was Wish-chan drawing of Tomoyo vs Kaho. I wanted something more on the nose so I figured it was time to flex my creative muscles again. Syaoran confronting Sakura about why she forgot about it was a huge turning point. But instead of drawing it, I used my work's MS Paint to make a manipulation of Wish-chan's original Sakura and Syaoran in the Rain and turned it into the scene from this chapter! I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

4 comments:

  1. It always seemed to me that the creepy house was Syaoran's Fantasy. He found ingredients he was looking for while cooking, he knew the layout of the house, I think they weren't even able to escape until Syaoran agreed it was time to leave. Back in arc 3, Sakura wonders what Syaoran's fantasy world would have been like, and he thinks to himself 'if you're there, that's all I need.'

    It was a minimalist fantasy world, but it would suit Syaoran perfectly.

    Kirei Blossom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirei-chan, hi! Thanks for popping in! Life's gotten ahead of me so it's been a month since I've returned to the manga re-read, but at least I've consistently been posting these updates since Arc IV started.

      Your interpretation of that scene is extraordinary and I love it. I take it that this must have been a Yahoo group discussion that I missed out on when I was on my NT burnout break. Don't hesitate to share anything else I missed out on from now to Chapter 68, which is when I came back.

      Delete
    2. I'm Glad you're consistently keeping up with the reread Amethyst-chan! Even though life is busy, I'm hooked to arc 4, and read a bit every day, making me reach chapter 68 now. The storyline flows so much smoother when we read it all at once rather than a chapter every year, lol.

      I don't recall if this theory was a NT group discussion or not. But I seem to vaguely remember that I mentioned this to Wish chan and I think she confirmed it was the Fantasy playing up on Syaoran's desires.

      About this chapter, one of my biggest queries was whether NadeRyuu were the real versions of themselves, gone in to rescue their children? Because they were the only two who were shown to go back through the portal. Everyone else was dead, so they probably just melted away when the fantasyland disappeared. I Guess NadeRyuu perhaps gave up their memories on returning back, but then it raised a ton load of other questions as well, like did they realise they wouldn't end up together, etc etc...

      Delete
    3. Ou, you're so far ahead! It's actually going to be taking me longer than usual to get there because my NT Summaries project only goes up to Chapter 63 even though I found WIPs of Chapter 65 through 67 or something in my old files. I'm going to make the blog longer too by making seperate entries for the Part 1 and Part 2 chapter installments that Wish-chan posted on FF since the release dates are different.

      I always hoped that NadeRyuu in Fantasy weren't their real selves because that would give their alternate reality personas a chance to be together. And the real Ryuuren wouldn't recognize the nameless boy as his future son. It's true that they were the only ones to go through the portal, but maybe Wish-chan didn't have the heart to have them killed all over again with the disappearance of Sakura's Fantasyland.

      Delete