Sunday, February 10, 2019

Chapter 66: The Truth in the Heart


Release date: August 13th, 2010 

Word count: 71,312 words 

Click for summary 

Thoughts: This is the longest chapter to date. I had to decide whether to continue reading while my real time corresponds with New Trials time so I can read Ch 67.5 around Valentine's Day but I decided to take it easy since currently the story goes as far as Chapter 73.5 and I don't want to keep myself on a time table when writing the new summaries. Remember back when Arc 4 started I was able to update my blog once a week? Now that I'm back on summary writing duty, I should consider posting once a month as a win.

As we're getting closer to the end, I'm having a better time remembering. But when I read that all three teens were kneeling in front of Touya after being discovered in Sakura's room, it was like discovering that detail for the first time.

I love how the Arc 1 photo of Sakura being caught looking at Syaoran keeps coming back into play. 

While I do remember Tomoyo and Eriol making a bet now that I'm reading it over, I honestly don't even know who wins.

The idea of Jinyu as a Seijou student is hilarious. I'm glad that Wish-chan pointed out that he was younger than Kara because he gives off older age vibes. I'm really glad that we finally get a glimpse of thing's from his point of view when he reacts to Erica thinking that he was in his late twenties and Kara thinking he was Leiyun's uncle.

The long anticipated Kai and Meilin reunion wasn't as sappy as I was hoping it would be, but it had its moments of sweetness. I'm glad he's back! Finally, the gang's all here!

This is the chapter that revealed that Perro-chan was Garuda-sama. The question is, did we the readers know who Garuda was in the first place? Lol, it reminds me of Fantastic Beasts 2 when Dumbledore said that legend had it that a Phoenix always came to a Dumbledore in need.

Kai reuniting with his family was huge and I really love the buildup to that moment. That scene was so perfect, especially since everyone in the Tanaka family has suffered so much. Speaking of reuniting, I love that Kai gets to join Sakura's class again.

Saloni drew such a great fanart of Sakura's Harem, which was based on the scene where Syaoran, Eron, Kai, Touya and Yukito were gathered around Sakura. The different suits gives me such CLAMP vibes.

I can't really see Eron in psychiatry since it's so people oriented, but his reasoning in compelling.  

Touya, you may reprimand Syaoran for not having aspirations now but in half a year from now in NT time he'll be officially announced as the Great Elder of the Li Clan. 

Takashi's vampire and vampire hunter story about Syaoran and Sakura corresponds lovely with the actual events post-Plague. Eriol confirming that he and Tomoyo were also vampires was too funny!

Eron and Syaoran's fight was so intense that it made queasy to my stomach. So Tomoyo is the winner after all.

There was a great scene of Syaoran being helpful and sociable with his classmates. That's the same vibe that we get in Clear Card. There was even a specific moment of Syaoran's teammates gathering around him after he scored a goal, just like how we saw in the anime.

Kai learning the piano under Eriol seemed quite comical, considering that Miho was not impressed as Kai reproduced the piece robotically. I'm married to a Russian composer and I know music is all about the soul and emotion you drive into it.

Wish-chan always gives lots of thought of what titles she gives to chapters. It's a scary feat considering the multiple themes and storylines that are packed in one chapter. But "Truth in the Heart" is the perfect title to represent the turning point of Sakura recognizing her true feelings — or at least the lack of true feelings that she actually had for Eron. And maybe now that I finished reading the chapter I can finally get "Be True to Your Heart" by 98 Degrees out of my head.

The dress that Sakura wears at the Vogue Nippon reception is one of my favourites and I'm so glad that there's a fanart of it by MusikChick.

It's always so magical when S&S dance with each other. I forgot that they waltzed in this chapter.

To be honest, the mafia talk always went over my head as I read through Kara's intricate details when the chapter came out because I wanted to get to Sakura and the gang faster. Now that I'm summarizing the chapter, I'm paying so much more attention and it makes sense!

After Kara escaped, the mafia told Sakura that she had to pay her debt. But wouldn't the sapphire ring that they stole from her be enough to pay for her freedom?

The outfits that Tomoyo designed sound wonderful! I wonder if it's ever something that I can attempt to draw. Kai pledging his loyalty to Sakura on bended knee is another great visual. It can be something right out of an anime!

I remember how vicious Syaoran and Eron's battle was but I forgot about Eron's intent to kill. When Sakura jumped in Eron's warpath to save Syaoran, it was a green light that protected them both. And here I thought Ch 68: Regeneration was the first time Syaoran's powers returned. What did the NT community think about this detail? 

The Alliance talked about Sakura's lack of jealousy and how she would quickly transform it so that she could be happy for the people instead. Wish-chan is talking about compersion, which I just learned about and I'm trying to develop.

I knew the Kai and Meilin kiss was good but I wasn't expecting it to be THAT mind blowing and romantic. Wow. I'm so glad that Selenity captured this moment in a fanart.

Eron told Erika is wounds weren't that bad because Sakura used the Heal on him. Did she use it on Syaoran too? It's interesting that during NT, Syaoran is rather anti-Heal since it draws from Sakura's own life force but it doesn't seem to bother Eron.


The scene at the end was so emotional. Wish-chan's fanart doesn't really match the scene since it's already nighttime and they're on the ground rather than standing up, but sunset does make a prettier fanart. I really love the way that it was a callback to six years ago when Sakura was heartbroken over Yukito. And what a wild coincidence that the CCS episode Sakura's Most Favourite Person was number 66, just like this chapter. 

Fanart spotlight: There was so much fanart to choose from for this chapter. but once I consulted the NT Picture book, Cheerleader Kinomoto Sakura by Wish-chan. It really speaks to the vibe of the chapter with the growing animosity between Syaoran and Eron as the chapter progressed. Seeing the Seijou High sports uniforms is fun. The blue looks great on everyone. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I learned a new word today--compersion! These reviews are more fun than the actual chapters themselves I think. If I have a secret confession to make, I think sometimes summaries are more interesting than the actual work. Then again, I have fun reading Wikipedia links for hours. Okay, I had to go back to listen to "True to Your Heart." My heart is still in the '90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that was a word either but it makes perfect sense.

      I'm so happy that you're enjoying my random ramblings. And I'm even more thrilled that you appreciate the New Trials Summaries. As the chapters get longer they become longer to write as well, but with every summary I post, the closer I get to catching up with you! And I guess the summaries are fun for you since you get to sit back and read each chapter in a nutshell so don't feel to weird about it!

      Delete