Friday, October 20, 2017

Chapter 12: Till You Turn to Me (A Night of Betrayed Love)


Release date: Summer 2000

Word count: 11,364


Thoughts: The theory that Nadeshiko is clumsy because she uses her second sight is quite clever. 

I recall Ryurren's hair being cut off, but I had no recollection that The Whip was the culprit! Speaking of hair, he explains that the long hair was a sign of passing the Ordeal, which he did at 16. There's no way a person's hair can grow that much in a year. 

So Nadeshiko gets to confess halfway through Arc I and Sakura can't get there even though we're almost at the end of Arc IV? Ouch.

It was a nice touch to see the twins being included during the Sunday shopping trip. It makes them tagging along to New York make more sense. 

The Amamiya diamond makes its debut! 

When I first read this chapter, I felt it was the most random event in NT. But once we learn that the ghost was Sakura's aunt and the lonely man had been waiting for her, it's all so incredibly sad. 

I didn't notice before, but S&S facing off the mad man as a team is how they overcame the awkwardness from what happened on the bridge.

"The whole class held out an umbrella to block the spray of saliva as their sensei shouted." ~ I know these anime-like cues will disappear as Wish-chan matures as a writer but for now I'm very entertained. 

Fanart spotlight: When I read the passage, "Warmly taking his hands, Sakura said, “My mother died when I was a child, yet know that she is with me, watching over my family. I’m sure Fujiko-san is doing the same.", I immediately thought of this doodle by scribbletalk. It was actually posted on her Facebook so I don't think there's a dA link. Indirect, but none the less fitting.  Edit: I received permission from the artist to post it on dA so here's the fanart!

2 comments:

  1. This chapter confirms that Wish-chan predicted that Syaoran knows how to play the piano way before CCS:CCH! It was such a treat to read that part and wonder if she's secretly and Amamiya or a Reed. Then there was the conversation about Syaoran being so fashionable and helping his sisters out - the flashback goes to him helping Fuutie out on a date which immediately made me do the math and think that she was going to meet with Zino. Funny part was that she asked her mother to help and Ieran says to ask a male (aka Syaoran, age 7).
    I remembered that the Amamiya diamond made it's debut during winter but had forgotten it was in this chapter! The one treasure that had been gone from earth. At this time I think Wish-chan had yet to create Kai but in Arc 4 we discover that Kara was the one who found the necklace and sold it to the shop owner and left it to "chance". It was a cool way of connecting that small detail. I wonder if Syaoran knew that it was a treasure before he bought it.

    The piano excerpt:

    Between classes, Sakura headed towards the music class, swinging her violin case. Then, a beautiful, melancholy melody drifted down the hallway. It was ‘Pachabel’s Canon.’ The soft notes and chords of the piano stirred something in her heart. “Who is it? Who’s playing the ‘Canon,’ our Winter Concert piece so beautifully?”

    She peaked into the music classroom to see who it was. She glimpsed a dark brown head bent over the piano. Syaoran’s eyes were closed as he ran his long fingers gracefully over the keys. He looked so calm and composed, unlike her. It seemed as if he had no worries. She looked away.

    Just then, Syaoran jammed all the keys down, creating a discordant, nerve breaking sound, then slammed the piano lid shut with a BAM. Sakura jumped, hair standing to its end. If she had seen him just then, when he opened his fiery amber eyes, she would have seen anger and frustration, not composure. Then, a girl with wavy thick purplish hair walked by. Sakura swerved behind a corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you pointed this out! While I have no regrets about starting my re-read before CCS:CC started (since as a result Meilin visiting in Arc 3 for Star Cross coincided beautifully with Meilin's visit in CC) I'm grateful that you started after I did.

      It's amazing how all of the pieces fit together whether Wish-chan planned ahead or decided to backtrack. There is so much to keep track of, which is why I'm glad that I did my summaries. Writing them from scratch once I get to the middle of Arc 4 is going to be a challenge!

      Delete