Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Chapter 34: Beyond the Widest Ocean


Release date: June 30th, 2001 

Word count: 8524


Thoughts: It took some time, but Chiharu finally blew up at Takashi for not taking anything seriously. I used to hate conflict until it dawned on me that more problems equal more "screen" time, which is why the end of Arc 2 is the peak of T&C content.

Syaoran and Sakura are finally having the long overdue conversation about how Eron and Erika are their enemies. Sakura's speech to him about how it was important to give the twins a chance despite everything was so powerful and very Sakura-like, especially since the method worked so well with Syaoran.

Chiharu being saved by Kaitou and getting to ride his motorcycle is quite the fantasy come true.

Syaoran makes the first reference of the puppy Leiyun gave him as a child. Because I already read Syaoran's special, chronologically speaking Sakura is supposed to know this, which is why I was surprised when Sakura forgot what happened. But Wish-chan didn't release Syaoran's special so to anyone reading this in chapter released order, this is new information.

Miho going around stamping X and ? symbols on everyone seems to be one of the last anime-ish qualities of NT before it takes a more serious tone in Arc 3.

There's a really sweet scene where Takashi confides in Sakura about his problems with Chiharu. This is the first time they had a meaningful conversation in all of their years of knowing each other!

Our three Seijou couples introduced themselves in this chapter. Takashi was able to be serious and give an honest apology. Plus, it's sweet that Syaoran prepped beforehand with the sunrise conversation from Chapter 4 or else Sakura would have suffered from stage fright.

Fanart spotlight: Here's another prompt for Fanart100 that got an upgrade after I tweaked around with Miho in Wish-chan's Girls of NT drawing. Where? is a collaboration between Wish-chan's piece and my original fanart. It was fun erasing the locket and fashioning a magnifying glass!

2 comments:

  1. >_< this is my second time writing my comment since blogpost erased it :'(

    I'm so used to the much serious arcs (3 & 4) and chapters that I forgot how comical New Trials is. I haven't reread in probably a year but this was an amazing way to start. It felt like I hadn't forgotten anything and just kept going. I'm loving the more animeish details because they remind me of the silly things the anime characters would do in the ones I would watch during my childhood. *sigh* If only New Trials could be an anime... my only consolation is knowing that in some other dimension/parallel universe, NT is an anime/real sequel to CCS and we can all watch it ^_^

    Although we don't get much Chiharu and Yamazaki content in later chapters I'm very much enjoying their moments now. I've been rewatching CCS and every time they appear on screen I have the goofiest expression but I just love their interactions. There's just something special about them, you know? :P

    I had forgotten that this was the chapter where we find out that Sakura knew about the twins' and their real identities. I remembered that it was in Arc 2 but couldn't pinpoint the exact chapter. It was smart of her to make a parallel to Syaoran's behavior towards her at the beginning of CCS and how she responded to it and how history is sort of repeating itself with the twins.

    Although I couldn't stand Aki and Erika the first time I read NT because of their self-centered attitudes and how mean they were to others, I really care and love them now. Not only have they developed and matured as characters but the story wouldn't be the same without them. Every time I've reread Arc 2 I've actually enjoyed their interactions more than I did the first time. I actually found myself wanting to read more scenes with them (more as scheming partners than anything else).

    Spoilers

    I found it interesting that at the end of the chapter Miho was looking at the ocean, thinking of her brothers and wishing to be a bird. It reminded me how often Kai is compared/linked to a bird. And considering that the Mizuki family patron animal is a bird I think that it is fitting.


    Favorite lines:
    He he… Maybe Eron was turning normal.

    Clasping her hand to her face, she [Chiharu] replied in a sing-song voice, “None of your business.” To the girls, she replied, “Oh my gosh, I think I’m in love! It’s like a shoujo manga or something! I wish I could have seen his face though.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouuu, the amount of time I typed up lengthly Tumblr posts only to have them been eaten by the Internet was sad. That was also a common problem over at Yahoo Groups as well. It's a wonder that it stuck around for so long and it isn't a surprise that it's now obsolete.

      The Sakura Approach worked out 50/50. She got one of the two twins!

      Takashi and Chiharu has always been my CCS OTP no matter how adorable S&S are. It's because T&C are an established couple! I fell hard for them in the manga during the Mirror Card story and they were holding hands downtown before Chiharu saw the fake Sakura knocking down the toys. I also enjoyed writing about them in Destined Love.

      Lol, we all despised Erika, especially during Arc 1 when there was so many Syaoran and Erika interactions going on. >_<

      Delete