Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Chapter 36: For There To Be A Rainbow


Release date: October 1st, 2001 

Word count: 20.820

Thoughts: The title for this chapter is really special with the rainbow colours. Nice way to present the finale of Arc 2!

In the grand scheme of things, it's inconvenient for the contest to be prolonged one extra day. The Seijou Middle School crew can chill at the Akagi estate for as long as they want, but what about the four other people who made the final? 

I can't stand public speaking so I appreciate reading about S&S's anxiety and how they would rather be facing a dark force. 

Takashi's answer to what does the music box represent is great. Telling the story of Pandora falls into step with his character.

I remember S&S's portion because they were hopelessly contradictory to one another when answering where they found the box and when did they meet.

Though Sakura wanted to keep the music box (designed by Shing!) she did offer it to Syaoran if he wanted to keep his most valuable treasure there. He replied, "Nah, don’t think it will fit in it." Heeheehee!

This chapter has the first appearance of The Riddle. My, that is going to be one pesky card!

"Throw a stone into a lake; it never reaches the bottom. Look at your reflection; nothing is seen. Cry your heart out; tears don’t fall. Give your soul; face betrayal" is a riddle where the answer is love, even though that's pretty depressing. I wondered if Wish-chan made it up herself so I Googled it. All hits led to NT with the exception of a 2004 fic that clearly used this riddle for its own purposes without sourcing.

Takashi and Chiharu's reasons for entering the contest were amazing. I think they would have still won even if Sakura didn't reveal her and Syaoran's ulterior motives. Still, S&S still fit the criteria of, "Friends before love, lasting through all hardships, understanding each other without words". It's a good thing they won the honorary prize!

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about poor Syaoran plugging the hole in the yacht with his finger! That mischievous Riddle!

This was also the chapter that introduced The Wave. Honestly, I don't mind that there's already a Wave in canon. We never did see its story.

The dramatic conclusion of Sakura saving the little boy from the sea completely escaped my memory. And seeing The Wave stealing Syaoran's power of the moon is something we've never seen before and it's the first time he was completely helpless in battle (well, maybe there was the time when Eriol controled Syaoran with strings in the Sakura Card arc).

For the first time Eron questions his role as the Dark One and wonders why he can't be in charge of his own destiny. This is definite foreshadowing! We get to see how the necklace rebels by burning him when he tries to take it off and this causes him to lose control over Wave. 

Sakura makes Syaoran pinky swear that they'll enter the contest again next summer but we all know what happens to prevent that. To be honest, I don't think it would have been in Wish-chan's style to re-write a whole other five-event contest.

Today marks the six month anniversary of my blog so I love the fact that it coincides with the end of Arc 2. At first glace at the main page, it looks like I'm half way through but we readers know that it's far from the case. When NT does end, I'm going to find the true middle!

Fanart spotlight: In honour of Sakura and Syoaran officially "adopting" Wolfie-chan, here's a pretty fanart of the trio that Wish-chan drew for a Syaoran's bithday special. It's fun to have an idea of what he looks like!

2 comments:

  1. Arc 2 finale! Wow!

    Comment Pt 1:

    I laughed at how relatable this quote was: "Yes. Don't you know that public speaking is feared more than death according to statistics?" I don't know how true this is but I can admit I don't like public speaking at all (I don't like large crowds either).

    While I like the answers provided by CxT and SxS, I think I've grown to appreciate Erika and Aki's answer about the box. As much as I like symbolism and well-thought/deep answers (CxT and SxS), I liked the honesty and simplicity of ExA's answer. Now that I think (overthink) about it, in the anime movie Sakura's last card to ever be formed was "The Hope". Was this CLAMP's way of retelling Pandora's box? Anyway, I was really happy that Chiharu and Takashi won :) They deserved it!

    I had forgotten that this was the first time we ever saw The Riddle. Can't wait until chapter 50 for that annoying card to be sealed. No wonder Clow Reed never bothered with it, lol.

    This may also be the first chapter in which we see a new side of Aki. I remember how much I used to dislike him when I first started 13... and then, by late Arc 3 and Arc 4, he grew on me enough that I like him. But for now, he's like the annoying Aki (exhibit A: “Your money is my money, my family’s money is my money and my money is my money.”)

    ****
    One scene I really love because a) a lot of insight, and b) I was laughing a lot (I could see it as an anime scene):
    "Placing her face close to Eron’s, Miho tilted her head questioningly, her smoke gray eyes bemused.

    “Eh? What?” Eron demanded.

    Laughing, Miho asked, “Do you always talk to yourself? If you do, it’s a very strange habit.”

    “No!” Eron replied. Then, he gained his composure, putting on his charming grin. “No, Miho-san. You must be mistaken for I never talk to myself.”

    “Liar,” Miho said flatly. “You’re a really weird, crooked, and plotting, liar too,” Miho pointed out. “No offense, though.”

    With each weakness, Eron slid further and further off his chair.

    Tomoyo giggled. “Eron-kun can’t face the harsh facts.”

    Eron laughed. “I’m used to being told I’m perfect.”

    “Too much compliments and it will go to your head,” Miho said. “My brother used to be perfect to. I used to envy him so much. He used to be class president and head of his grade. Maybe he was too perfect, that’s why he was taken from stupid little me. He must have grown tired of looking after his bratty little sister.”

    “I don’t like anything less than perfect,” Eron murmured. He was the careful planner, while Erika went more by impulse. That was the difference between the twins. “Tell me, Miho-san, where is your brother now?”

    “I don’t know,” Miho replied softly.

    “Shouldn’t he have always stayed by you and looked after his little sister? He betrayed you. You must hate him,” Eron said softly. “Betrayal is the greatest of sins, and betrayal of friends, let alone blood is the most unforgivable crime. More unforgivable than…”

    “There you go, talking to yourself again,” Miho said, forcing a smile. Yet, her hands were trembling."
    ****

    Comment Pt 2 coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment Pt 2:
    I didn't mention it in the other comment (because it was so long) but Eron's comment about Miho's brother's betrayal and how betrayal is a sin made me think about a) the Great Five (because what doesn't make me think about those six individuals in this story); b) how he views Kai's actions; and c) how Eron views his duty as an older brother.

    I also feel like the Riddle provided so much foreshadowing and little bits of info regarding Kai and the Great Five. It's been a while since I've read NT (the earlier chapters at least), that I don't remember if we know (at this point) whether Kai is Miho's brother.

    And talking about foreshadowing, that bit where Syaoran can't use his magic! And Eron's first time wanting to rebel against Ruichi-sama! Arcs 3 and 4 I'm looking at you!

    This was a good chapter. Now I'm ready for what's next.
    Arc 3 fluff and drama, here we go!

    ReplyDelete