Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Chapter 69: The Betrayal


Chapter 69: The Betrayal

Release date: August 3rd, 2013

Word count: 44,945 words

Click for summary

Thoughts: After the Arc 3 finale where Syaoran abandoned Sakura at the harbour in Hong Kong, no one could have predicted that they would be returning to the same place one year later!

Syaoran appearing from the fog in this chapter after he disappeared in the fog in Yesterday's Letter was a wonderful parallel. 

We have our last update from Arima and Asuma. Arima said that she wanted to take a break from acting and learn English to enter Hollywood. I wondered how she would pay the bills until I remembered that she also modelled!

Yue's conversation with Sakura about the reincarnation of Clow's soul was fascinating. Fellow NT fan Melanie once read my husband Aleks' palm and described his past life. When Aleks told his father, my father-in-law said that he was describing his father's life (my father-in-law's dad). Aleks' grandfather died before he was born so I can totally believe in reincarnation. If you ever want your palm read or Tarot Cards read, contact Melanie via the FB group! We've used her three times and she's always right on the nose.

It's so ironic that both Kai and Sakura are distrustful of the Li Clan but their one true love happens to be Meilin and Syaoran.

Erika learns that Jinyu is an orphan and this is the first time she felt any connection with him. I'm really rooting for these two!

The Meilin and Kai scenes when they're not at each other's throats and are just sharing a tender moment are so good! They're such an perfect fit for each other.


Yue tells Sakura that a powerful magician never leaves any part of himself behind post-death — unless they want to be brought back to life. What an important bit of foreshadowing!

I never thought of Suppi-chan as both a Clow expert and a character who can tell Sakura the cold-hard unbiased truth. Usually that's Eron's department, but his speciality is the G5 and he wouldn't know how to shape Sakura as a better Mistress of the Cards.

When Wish-chan posted a preview of this chapter before it was released, she chose the cockroaches in the Li Mansion one. We actually thought it was a joke until we read the chapter. Wish-chan did use to say that she was bad a pranks…

The now running gag of Kai being mistaken as yakuza is still so funny!

It was so cool to see Meilin on her side mission and getting to see her in action. The fight scenes were written so beautifully.

Why did it take me this long to realize that my Dark Forces Guide on my website was basically the virtual Five Force Scroll?

I remember that there was a lot of buzzing about Ruichi's son, but now that I read over the actual line mentioning it, I feel like I'm discovering it for the first time. I would have never been able to answer "When do we first learn about Ruichi's son" in NT trivia.

So far Leiyun has been portrayed as the most despicable character in NT history. Yet there is something bizarrely fascinating with his interaction with Tomoyo.

Eriol gives Sakura a magic book written by Clow and Miho scolded him for giving her the present that Syaoran would want the most. I love the fact that after all of this time Wish-chan can still dip into those manga character fact list.

There's no mention of Sakura changing from her outfit of the day to her party dress. I guess we'll get more details about that in the next chapter.

The duel doesn't last long but it packs quite a punch, especially when it came to Sakura's downfall. I remember how we were all so shocked when in came to this yet so confused as to why she lunged herself forward. Honorable fanart mentions goes to Ming Li and CherryUsagi.

Fanart spotlight: The way that Rigor captured this final moment from The Betrayal in such brilliant colours is breathtaking. The scene itself breaks my heart and the fanart captures that emotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment