Monday, November 13, 2017

Chapter 15: Hang a Shining Star


Release date:  Late Fall 2000

Word count: 6893


Thoughts: I don't remember Syaoran going all out with Christmas decorations as a kind gesture towards Meilin at all!

Nadeshiko gives Ryuuren a handmade scarf during their first Christmas. In her author's note, Wish-chan explains that her original draft had Sakura give Syoaran a scarf but the anime beat her to it.

First reference of the Reed Star Sapphire ring! It's kind of odd that Ryuuren didn't hesitate for a second when it came to giving away a family heirloom. 

Ugh, this chapter recaps why Syaoran is the master of mixed messages. No wonder it takes Sakura forever to realize her feelings.

Syoaran delivering Sakura her gift via floating balloon is such a special scene. The way he scampers off on his bike is so him. Having a tiny bit of experience selling diamond jewelry myself, there's no way that a kid could afford that necklace. Does anyone else remember that he casted a protection spell on it?

Fujitaka's story about the man and the angel is so bittersweet. I wonder how many tales Wish-chan would have released if it wasn't for her dedication to New Trials.

Erika glomping on to Touya is the first time she flat out says that she's more interested in older guys. Foreshadowing of her relationship with Mike, maybe?

I was so inspired by the wolf embroidery that I recreated it with MS Paint!  

Fanart spotlight: Many years ago Wish-chan reserved the Frost prompt in the 100 Themes Challenge that I launched in 2012. We were chatting and it turns out that her submission was still in the works and 96% finished. Many of you will remember these images from her omake

2 comments:

  1. I was amazed when I read Wish-chan's note about originally having Sakura make a scarf for Syaoran and then changing it. Amazing how in the very beginning (and now with CCH) she has been able to be so in tune with CLAMP.

    I was excited to see the Reed ring. I wonder though, why would Ryuuren have a five force treasure right there and then and just give it away to Nadeshiko. So I'm just as confused as you. He might have known about its story.
    If it hadn't been for your observation and my rereading I would have never remembered about the protection spell on the necklace. How did he do that? Would have it worked anyway with all the powers it already has?

    I can't believe I never commented on your drawing for the chapter! The embroidery looks adorable :)

    And did Nadeshiko's grandfather ever meet Ryuuren? Did he know about him? This line threw me off:

    “But there is something about that girl.” Smiling, the old man gazed at Sakura with fond eyes. Then his gaze diverted to a striking boy with chestnut hair who was talking with Sakura, once in a while scowling, depending on if another boy with hair tied back was present or not. “Who is that eye catching boy?”

    “Who, him?” Sonomi looked at Syaoran. “He’s one of the girls’ friend, from Hong Kong. He returned after a year or two. Why, Grandfather?”

    “He reminds me of someone.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish-chan has always been in step with CLAMP in the most mysterious ways. I think what surprised me the most was when CLAMP released their wedding dresses designs the same time Wish-chan was writing about Asuma and Arima's wedding!

      Maybe Ryuuren knew that the ring would be safe with Nadeshiko and it was the most precious thing he had to give. Maybe the five force treasures wasn't as big a deal in the past. Even his sword is the one that wasn't used by Shulin.

      Hmm, since it's a protection spell, either it was ineffective but he didn't realize it or maybe it absorbed the power after all. I'm kind of leaning towards the first theory since Arc 1 Syaoran is no where near powerful compared to what he will become.

      Ah, now your comment on my fanart doesn't seem out of the blue after all. See, dA gives me notifications while Blogger does not!

      Even though Nadeshiko's grandfather and Ryuuren never met in canon, we are missing a lot of information from the Nadeshiko Arc story. Considering how close knit Nadeshiko, Ryuuren, Miara and Keisuke were, it's very possible that he saw Ryuuren at a school festival or even during a concert.

      Delete